Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Curiosity Builds Better 'Technologists'

Years ago I taught a bevy of applications to various levels of end-users. That experience taught me more than I taught any of my students.

One theme that was prevalent was 'curious, unafraid people learn more quickly'. I knew this personally because I really am unafraid to fail when trying technology (and many other things). I do fail, and I learn more from some of those failures than from many successes.

The knowledge (that curiosity garners learning and fear leaves us stagnant) was cemented for me while teaching. I had older and younger students and students from various cultural backgrounds. Most of the older folks in my classes were timid about using a computer. I would say something like 'Click the word 'File' on the Menu Bar' and one would respond 'What will happen when I click?'

In class, I might hear someone say 'where is the command to do xyz located'. If I knew the requested command was easily found on the menu bar, I would respond 'Click on the various menu items and view the available commands--this will help you when you are back in your office and I am not around'. Many students had no problem with that sort of direction. Others would raise his/her hand and say 'What if I click something on accident?' At that point I would tell them about the wonderful warning messages that Windows will give us when we are about to do something drastic---if we click a command that says 'Blow Up My PC' a confirmation dialog will pop up stating 'Are you sure you wish to destroy your computer?'. I hope my statements to the timid ones helped them become more self-sufficient, but I will never know.

One question I had then and still have now is how some can have access to a computer, use it everyday over a long period of time, and only be able to do operations they have been specifically taught. Perhaps I have already (partially) answered it with 'Curiosity vs. Fear'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Post a Comment