Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Traveling with Technology

Just bought a slick phone that masquerades as a modem, a mobile organizer, and tries but fails to be a camera. I love this thing! It is a Sprint Nextel PCS Vision Smart Device PPC-6700. Its OS is Windows Mobile 5.0.

Here's what I've done with it so far, and REPETITIVELY:




  1. Surfed the net (tiny screen, so using the MSN Mobile that is on the start up screen and in the IE favorites is the best way to go).
  2. While googling myself (I know---that sounds kind of bad), I perused my photos online, etc....
  3. Within MSN Mobile, I searched for a business type, then clicked local (it wanted my zip code), and it returned those types of businesses closest to me. The data returned included links AND a CALL link that would auto-dial if I confirmed. That is slick.
  4. Recorded audio to-dos.
  5. Started the wireless modem feature, and hooked it up with the USB cable to my laptop and used it as a connection. The speed was enough to download music and connect remotely to my workplace and write code.
  6. Entered projects and sub tasks in the software called Agenda Fusion (purchased this for $29). The calendar and tasks that come with the phone are sufficient for most people, but not for me. I like fancy sorting and filtering, and planning and prioritizing.....
  7. Played games---I bought sudoku, and played with the games that it comes with: solitaire and bubble breaker.
  8. Instant messaged using yahoo messenger for mobile (http://mm.yahoo.com)
  9. Checked out mobile.google.com---it has maps and sms and search---it's cool on my little screen.
  10. Tried the keyboard - YUCK -- I don't have time for that crap. Use the graffiti feature--it has better handwriting recognition than Palm. I set the word completion input settings to suggest 4 possible words after entering just 2 letters. This really speeds up data entry.
I would recommend this product to anyone---I suggest reading the manual, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment