Thursday, February 12, 2009

ZOHO App Universe

Two words: Fast and Free

In clicking around and discovering the ease-of-use and yet sophistication of ZOHO, I get those chemical feelings similar to when you first fall in love. (OK, not a fair comparison coming from me---hasn't happened in a over a decade). At any rate, the possibilities I imagine are many, as I use it to take notes, build slick docs, and calculate budgets. It is a joy to use.

Note:
I wrote and published this, using Zoho. I did NOT need to pause and wait for my machine to catch up with my fast fingers, and it auto saved multiple versions of my edits. If you want to skip the VERBIAGE, scroll thru the pix (we all like pictures), you will see just how cool ZOHO is (and free!!).



My first
experience with Zoho was way way back in 2008. I played with it and thought it pretty and effective, but kept using other Office apps installed on my machine or an a USB stick.

I previously used:

  • Microsoft Word/Excel 2007 (more of a hog than earlier versions)

  • OpenOffice.org. (always up-to-date)

  • ABI Word (very lightweight, but ugly)

  • IBM Symphony (pretty, and much lighter than MS Office)

  • Jarte (pretty, but slow start-time and response-time)

Memory HOGS!!!! Well, OpenOffice.org has improved greatly on its launch time and resource consumption. ABI Word is not too resource-intensive. IBM Symphony is very cool (tabbed environment/multi-function) and does not use too much RAM once launched, but the launch time IS too slow for me (I'm impatient). Office 2007? Holy crap----I need to go to the kitchen for coffee once I launch it, not to mention that Office leaves processes running when it is not, that take up too much memory! Slows my whole machine down---I hate it. Also, what is up with that super-big 'ribbon'. Cluttery and distracting for me. It slows me WAY down to have to edit the format of text or perform a table edit, etc....because I have to locate the toolbar, then the tool command. Puke me. Even though Office allows most old shortcuts, you can't view them, you have to have memorized those oldies (Office shortcuts that is). I revisited Zoho recently and realized how much COOLER LOOKING and FASTER and more COMPLETE it is than any of the other apps. PLUS, it offers MORE than they do, and in a wholly-integrated fashion. The ONLY drawback thus far, is that for the most part, I need to be connected to the web. Seeing as how I am connected most of the time, that isn't really an issue. There are ways around this online requirement.



  1. Zoho is now offering offline editing. I have NOT tried it, it uses Google Gears (I've heard). [I'll try and post back]

  2. Zoho allows import to and from your PC of any of your documents. You can export your files to MANY formats.
That being said, the online thing is cool because:
  1. I can access my doc library from anywhere
  2. I can post/publish a single or multiple docs/apps for a selected set of humans, or for the whole public. No charge, and it is EZ.
  3. Collaboration (if you need to work with another person or a group of people, you can grant them access to edit docs and/or apps.

Zoho offers so much----see pix following this write-up. Cool WIKI, cool NOTEBOOK app, cool SPREADSHEETS, cool WORD PROCESSING, ETC! I am using it now to brainstorm project ideas and current work tasks, and to organize them. Any thing that I may want to share a view with or allow others to edit can be built with this cool toolset. (Yes, I realize the word cool keeps surfacing; it is ‘apt’.) I have added screenshots of some of the applications, in action. Please review by scrolling....


They even have website creation for non-techies (and for techies in a hurry...) For true geeks, they have exposed their APIs!
Zoho: I have one request, that may be available (I haven't seen it), and that is KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS FOR EVERYTHING, and a partner list of those shortcuts, so we quick typers can be even more efficient.

Here's the link: http://www.zoho.com/



Free and E-Z. They have this cool thing that you don't even need logged in for, as well, called ThrowawaySheet---lets you enter and edit an Excel-like document,then you can save it to your computer....
To use the throwaway sheet tool, goto: http://sheet.zoho.com/scratch.do

KEEP VIEWING PICS.......there are several more screenshots, just scroll








No comments:

Post a Comment